I love Chinese takeout. Especially when it’s leftover. And cold (I know, I’m weird). But unfortunately most Chinese food isn’t what you would cal health-conscious. I was craving some fried-rice and came up with this healthy alternative instead .
Chinese Fake-Out: Chicken “Fried” Rice
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup brown or whole-grain rice
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons soy-sauce **if gluten-free use Tamari or another wheat-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in chicken and cook until cooked through and lightly brown. Add in peppers and onion and cook until vegetables get soft.
Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. When rice is almost done (with a little water still in the pot) add rice to skillet with chicken and vegetables. Mix together soy-sauce, Sriracha, and honey. Pour sauce into skillet and mix until thoroughly coated. Continue to cook until liquid reduces and the flavor is fully absorbed into the rice. Enjoy!