I love Italian food. A lot. Who doesn’t? The mix of great spices, tomatoes, and cheese….. the cheese (mmm). And one of my favorite recipes is lasagna. But I’m always up for trying something new and when I saw some recipes for a lightened up Lasagna Soup on Pinterest, I couldn’t resist!
Lasagna Soup (adapted from The Deen Bros)
8 servings (approx. 1 cup each); 6 Weight Watchers PP per serving
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb turkey sausage (casings removed)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 32 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz can no-sodium added diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 oz whole-wheat broad style noodles (I used Ronzoni)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large dutch oven/non-stick pot. Add in onions, peppers, sausage, and garlic and cook until sausage is browned and cooked through.
Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Increase heat and bring back to a boil. Add whole-wheat noodles and boil for 10 minutes until noodles are cooked through.
Remove from heat and stir in basil, mozzarella, and parmesan.
Serve immediately. Garnish with additional sprinkle of cheese and basil and enjoy!